Saturday 2 April 2016

WBL TASK 1 - BIG ACTIVE

BIG ACTIVE


The first example is an illustration created by Katie Scott and is advertising Nike footwear and their Air Max 95 series. The reason I chose this illustration was for multiple reasons, all of which involve the concept of the idea, the techniques, different types of rendering and the media. All these individual elements have/will be used throughout both development and my final illustration. The concept of this design is clearly based on anatomy and the human body. Using different textures and parts of both the exterior and interior of a body to represent elements within the footwear.

This illustration uses a different texture and rendering for each part of the trainer, from using dotwork, shading, crosshatching to linework. This design seems to be drawn and coloured traditionally and because of the amount of detail within the textures I'm finding it hard to tell whether its coloured pencil or paint. Either way it still consists of elements that I would like to add to my design and develop them thoroughly. There is a lot of layers within the linework, the texture and the colours, showing multiple tones the overlap or blend together help create highlights and shadows which dramatically increases the 3D feel/look of the illustration.



The second example of artwork from Big Active is a commercial illustration created by Kam Tang and is very different to the first illustration, I wanted to chose designs that consist of different styles and techniques. This one has no colour but with the use of just linework, the artist has created tone and depth within this illustration. I would like to use this technique within my linework when adding detail to elements such as the wolf's fur and adding texture to the skull; I think this approach would benefit my illustration greatly.

I think this illustration was created digitally, mainly because of how smooth and perfect the linework is, using software like Illustrator then this is easily achievable. Unfortunately I can only use pencils in this project just the techniques and how the lines are showed to create depth will help tremendously when adding extra detail within certain elements. Looking at the composition and layout of the design, all the elements look randomly placed but I would think that the artist developed the position of these individual design multiple times to make sure they don't clash, blend in together and that they work together smoothly. There is defiantly layered designs within this piece, placing parts in the fore, mid and background add to that extra level of depth. I am struggling with using composition in my final illustration because of it consisting of one image that is placed in the centre of the page, hopefully the research in artists an their work could help he think of a way to develop my idea.



The last example that I chose from Big Active's website is a great illustration that is created by David Foldvari, this is another piece of commercial work just like the previous two illustrations, this means that there was a purpose, brief and theme for this design. Just like my design I want my theme or story to be shown visually within the illustration. I chose this piece of artwork because I was interested in the style of this, the production adn how it was made.

I love this style, consisting of a monochromatic style throughout but involving a slight tone of colour in the sketchbooks to make them stand out from the rest of the illustration. The style of the individual elements itself reminds me of the cel shading style, mainly because of the black outline that surrounds each element.

I think that each design was drawn traditionally with ink and then placed together digitally and arranged on the page until the artist was happy with the composition and layout of the design. Unlike my design, this illustration consists of multiple elements that make up one big complete design that consist of a story, whereas my design is one large illustration. I may alter the design slightly therefore  i can add small elements to my design just like this one. The background is quite dark and blurred compared to the sharp thick black outlines that contrast to both the background adn the white filling of the smaller illustrations within the design.

No comments:

Post a Comment