Sunday 10 April 2016

WBL WEEK 1 - NO BROW

NO BROW

Throughout all of my previous projects, NoBrow has always been an example to use to help with your idea or mentioned for techniques and reference. So using 3 examples of their work to try and improve certain aspects of my idea for my final illustration would help greatly. The first example of a No Brow artist is McBess; I have been referred to his work and seen so many examples over the duration of many projects, the example of McBess' work that I will analyse and deconstruct is this piece that is titled 'Gustave Dore - Final Cream' the reason for choosing this illustration was because of the sheer amount of detail that is shown throughout the entire page, each individual element within the design has a purpose and reason for being there, also adding more depth, story and meaning to the design.

 The style of McBess' work is absolutely tremendous! Yet at the same time very unusual and peculiar. His abstract characters are mainly what he is notorious for, especially the faces of the characters, long hollow eyes and covered in tattoo's and facial hair. Within each illustration the characters seems to have a  story of their own, using the elements around, the expressions and dynamic poses to explain it. The monochromatic style is used in all of his work, multiple tones of grey and black as well as using cross hatching, dotwork and linework to create depth, shading and highlights. The majority of his artwork will involve the same theme, naked women, beards and alcohol!



The second artist that works alongside or is apart of NoBrow is Ben Newman, I have researched this artist on multiple occasions, each time looking at his work and techniques from alternative angles/perspectives. The example of work created by Ben Newman that I will annotate and analyse is an illustration called 'Monster Squad' which was an illustration that was first used in NoBrow Issue 5 and then released as a wrapping paper designs available from NoBrow.

The reason I chose Ben Newman is because of how much his artwork and how he approaches his designs inspire me. The composition and layout of this illustration is much different to the previous illustration created by McBess, because it is a surface pattern made up of multiple faces of different characters that are repeated. The layout is using a grid to organise the individual elements; 5 columns by 4 rows allows each image to have a reasonable amount of space between, making each design not too big or small, allowing all the detail to remain visible. The techniques and production of Ben Newman's work interests me; I would say this illustration was created digitally using geometric and simple shapes to create each character.




My final artist that has collaborated with NoBrow is Brecht Vandenbroucke, a Belgian cartoonist and illustrator that produces vast and complex paintings detailing everything from the apocalypse to the mundanities of everyday life. The reason I chose this artist was because his style adn artwork intrigued me, having already recognised his work from researching White Cube in previous projects. The work he produces has such a wide range or themes, concepts and styles; using political matters as a base and them abstract illustrations/paintings to make you think WTF?! This diversity i what inspires me the most, being able to suddenly change style and mindset when creating a piece of artwork is definitely something I would like to learn. 

This would be my favourite painting that Brecht Vandenbroucke created, mainly because of the theme/story behind it as well as the quality of the painting and how well done it has been made. This cartoon art style involving a very deep, adult humor concept is definitely a favourite of mine, I'm beginning to recognise more artists who have a very similar mindset when creating cartoons. The process is defiantly acrylic paint which I prefer as if it was made digitally, having the painting still feel raw and experimental just adds a bit more thought and time in it, comparing to a clean digital painting with no mistakes.

Overall I am glad with the 3 artists that have collaborated with NoBrow and I tried to choose 3 very different artists with uniques styles; I enjoyed learning and analysing their methods and how they produce their artwork. 

No comments:

Post a Comment