Tuesday 5 April 2016

WBL TASK 1 - WRAP MAGAZINE

WRAP MAGAZINE



The first example that I found on Wrap Magazines instagram is a design created by Chris Silas Neal, I found it very hard finding 3 examples that I could analysis, compare and use as inspiration to my own work as the majority of designs were digitally created or incorporated digital elements. After a quick browse through a variety of their work I know this style and production methods for these designs are not what I am looking for. But by deconstructing them

The style of this design is unusual, a basic painting without any linework, minimal detail and bold colours, this reminds me of pop art and a very cartoon theme. But compared to my final illustration and the requirements of the brief, this design doesn't match any of them therefore this specific design won't inspire or help me with the use of style or technique. I am also not sure whether if this piece of artwork was for commercial work or personal and that is because I can't make out a meaning or story behind this design.


The second example of artwork that I found on Wrap Magazines instagram is this contemporary piece of art created by Cynthia Kittler. Again, picking these example that I could analysis and deconstruct and also help to inspire my work was very difficult, after looking at the majority of the work created for this magazine; I don't really like or find interesting which is hard to try relate it to my own work.

The reason I chose this piece is because I was interested in the process, it looks like the linework was drawn traditionally by hand and than scanned into a program such as Photoshop where the colour was added. I use this process often but as this project requires me to only use pencils I don't find this image or anything that has involved digital elements helpful.


The final example of artwork that was chosen fro Wrap Magazines instagram is this illustration that was created specifically for a children's book, created by Marc Martin. I like this design a lot more than the previous two or any others that are posted on the instagram, mainly because each element within this illustration was created individually and painted traditionally, once each design was finished they were arranged and organised together digitally. Also with this being part of a page in a book, there is a story behind each image as it is telling a story, this makes it much more reachable to an audience as they could understand and relate to a story compared to a contemporary piece that was made for fun. Also each image will have a very specific age group or audience depending on what book itself so I would like my illustration to also have a meaning within the visuals and have it be allocated towards a certain audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment