Saturday 14 May 2016

EVALUATION/SWOT - WBL

WORK BASED LEARNING - EVALUATION

This module was called Work Based Learning and was a competition for the Derwent Art Prize 2016; which required an illustration to be made only with specific media, which were;anything that was pencil, including water-soluble, pastel, graphite, charcoal or colouring pencils. The brief allowed the theme or concept of the illustration to be of your choosing, usually I struggle at first when I'm allowed 100% freedom because there is nothing to initially guide me through my ideas compared to making a simple/basic theme that can be manipulated. My designs and themes change and develop over time until I found what I wanted to illustrate. 
 To start off, I created a brainstorm for the theme and came to the conclusion of having my character based around multiple ideas; samurai's, then skeletons and the anatomy, my final theme was a mixture of the anatomy and animals. After a process of elimination I decided to use my strongest idea to take forward, an illustration of a wolf's head being torn apart into two pieces, and within is a human skull that starts to show.
With this project there wasn't much research or inspiration to use compared to the previous projects, sticking to 1 or 2 artists to use their style as a reference, I didn't want to involve too many artists as the illustrations and elements within might get a little to compact by replication or using multiple styles as ideas. Each theme or concept that was thought of; I sketched out several designs before altering or changing the current theme, after some time I had my chosen theme for my final illustration. Once I created a rough idea of what my design may look like using Photoshop I then experimented with the layout, and positioning of the elements and testing out different medias. The development part of this project wasn't as much as I thought, it consisted of multiple copies of my idea all with a different style, render technique, media or textures. But all of this helped me to create my final idea which was then illustrated on paper using Prismacolor pencils.
 I was very confident with this project even though my preferred style is digital illustration, I knew I would need a bit of assistance from my tutors when thinking of a concept and that was a huge comfort when refining and developing my ideas. What I would improve on is probably making sure I stick to my chosen idea and make sure it is developed and pushed the furthest it can before starting to draw that idea.
Setting myself targets and evaluating my work constantly is a great way to help be prepared and to make sure I don’t encounter any major mistakes, my main target that I’m setting myself is to be more aware of time management and be sure each piece is finished before moving onto something else, but with being away in Berlin attending the Pictoplasma Festival I did lose a valuable week of work that would of helped greatly. Overall I enjoyed this project a lot, It was a change from producing digital illustrations and working on my traditional skills helped a lot. I am very pleased with my outcome and the work that I have produced in this project, although I wish I was able to finish the project to my standards or at least complete a little more work but with the time I had left I am happy with the work I have produced there are a lot of skills and techniques that I have learned throughout and will help me a lot in future projects that include traditional illustrations as well as the next project that will be completed during the holidays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment