Tuesday 1 March 2016

YR 1 ASSESSMENT WEEK 2, TASK 1 DIGITAL SKILLS - SIAMAN CHOW


ARTIST RESEARCH

Siaman Chow




Very different to other artists and production companies, Siaman Chow creates GIFs, very short animated images that last usually a few seconds. The first example is showing someone drinking whiskey. Originally this seems quite basic but the more I think bout this short animation the more I think maybe there's more to this? It shows a hand drinking a shot of whiskey then having it refilled, what attracted my attention was the hand was very similar to Disney's Mickey Mouse hand. Maybe it is mocking Disney or maybe it is a coincidence.

Overall I like this short animated image, making it repeat by having the last frame follow the first frame is a great element and also it is very clear, the linework is thick and bold, although the background is quite dark, it still doesn't blend with the linework but it emphasizes and illuminates the hand which is white, I believe this was the main intention.







The second example of Siaman Chow is this animation, I chose this because of the theme and process. The GIF is a face which then ages dramatically into a skeleton, showing the process between each stage that I have captured. Breaking this down and trying to recognise or at least guess the production method I think this example has been created with stop motion animation, drawing out each stage traditionally then scanned in digitally and creates an illusion of a moving animation when really its multiple images being shown one after another very quickly.

I really like this short animation mainly because I find it rather amusing, also the artwork is drawn really well with a great amount of detail. The mood of this is quite sinister, a face decaying into a skeleton? You are unaware what will happen when you see the thumbnail of the face and that is a another element of this example i like.







With this artist, Siaman Chow I have found his work to be quite complicated to talk about, mainly because of how basic and short the animated image is, but I enjoy learning how they are made. The last example of Siaman Chows work is this very comedic weight lifting animation, unlike the others this is quite comedic with the sexual humour.

Again I think the process would be the same as the previous, stop motion animation that is created with individual images.

No comments:

Post a Comment