Wednesday 19 April 2017

EVALUATION FOR CHARACTER DESIGN (ANANSI MODEL SHEET)

EVALUATION - CHARACTER DESIGN (ANANSI MODEL SHEET)

This project is called Character Design and the aim/requirements of the brief was to create a character and apply this design to a model sheet specifically for this character. The requirements were that the design has to be produced, or at least the final outcome has to be digital and be printed and mounted on A2 paper. Despite these, the brief wasn't too strict and allowed a wide range of freedom within the production of this character. The model sheet required a background story, several dynamic poses and/or expressions.

My chosen theme of this character was based on Gods, more specifically African Gods; while researching I came across a story about this African Deity known as 'Anansi', I then used this myth and revolved my design around this and re created my representation of this African God. The appearance of this character was inspired by Alex Pardee's work and several other artists from the illustration book called 'Zero Friends'. I deiced to approach this design with a style that I wasn't comfortable with, using silhouettes to create this character and having the highlights and detail show with minimal white. I tend to use both colour and detail without my illustrations so staying simplistic was a struggle but I am happy with the outcome and appearance of the character. I created these illustrations for the model sheet by using Illustrator and the pen tool to create the shapes for the body and limbs. The model sheet background consisted of a texture I created using stained tea that I then scanned and placed into Photoshop to then apply the illustrations and text to the document.



The positives of this project was the appearance of the character that I created, I was happy with the outcome due to the amount of times I constantly changed the design as I struggled to think of a theme at the beginning of the project. I am also proud and pleased with the outcome of the model sheet, the layout an positioning of the elements work well, they aren't too cramped onto the page and the font is readable. I did encounter a few issues throughout the process of creating this design and before this concept was created, a main issues was time management but to solve that in future projects I will constantly create and update my timetable and write lists on my current progress and what needs to be done.

Overall I am please with the outcome of this project and believe that I have done a good job considering I decided to use a unfamiliar art style to help broaden my horizon  and to get used to theses situations where I may not be able to use my preferred art styles when working with clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment